Friday, October 21, 2011

LITTLE THINGS MEAN A LOT

With heavy heart I went to Lower Burrell because I wanted to buy a shirt to honor Officer Derek. When I pulled in I was surprised at the amount of cars parked and people walking in and out.  It was 9:45 am!  As  I walked up the ramp I saw all the flowers lined up to the entrance door for Officer Derek Kotecki to honor him, or to show their sorrow.

The people were very nice and it wasn't a place full of doom, no, it was a place with smiles and thank yous for caring enough to come in. The shirts were doing a brisk business,  I was lucky that they had my size and they had the wrist bands there so I bought one of them along with the shirt.  I felt much better leaving then I did walking in. I felt good because I helped and because the people smiled and were so thankful.

They have a web site set up so people can see pictures of the family and to let people post what they are feeling. I'm sure it  not only gives comfort to the family but to the ones that visit his face book page.

Most of you know that my youngest son is a policeman. I am not a happy camper about his choice of career, but I don't have a say so of how he wants to live his life. I just pray a lot.
 I grew up with a scanner in our house because my dad was very involved in the fire hall and was president for so many years, when my brother was old enough he became involved also. That scanner use to make me a nervous wreck and I was only a teenager. It let you know everything that was happening in and around my home town.  When someone needed an ambulance, if someone got hurt fighting a fire - so often my heart would beat so hard because of the scanner.  So, I do not want a scanner in our home today. This was especially true when my sons were teenagers and driving. If they were late meeting their curfew I would go spastic. Call me whatever, but know I would  always be jumping in my skin whenever the dang thing would go off.  Even though none of sons live in my hometown now, I still don't want to hear it.
It might seem to seem to you that I am a weakling or a coward by not having a scanner, so be it. I just know I live a lot calmer life.

Wonder how many of you who read this have a scanner? and what is your opinion?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HELLO DEE, I JUST LOVE YOUR WRITINGS, YOU ARE SO TALENTED AND MAKES ME WANT FOR MORE. I UNDERSTAND HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT SCANNER AND THE NERVOUS FEELING IT BRINGS. I ALWAYS LIVED NEAR A FIRE COMPANY AND HEARD THE FIRE WHISTLE (VERY LOUD) ALWAYS RING. WHEN MY CHILDREN WERE GROWING UP IT MADE ME VERY VERY NERVOUS AND A PANIC FEELING I WOULD ALWAYS FIND MYSELF LOOKING FOR MY KIDS TO MAKE SURE THEY WERE OK.....AS THEY GREW OLDER IT EVEN GOT WORSE. I SHARE THE FEELING WITH YOU...NOT A SCANNER BUT A FIRE WHISTLE. I GUESS WE ARE JUST PANIC MOMS.

Dee's shared items

SO MANY THINGS TO BE THANKFUL FOR

This time of year makes me think of all of those things I have to be thankful for - - - -
my husband
my children
my grandchildren
my health
my freedom
always thankful for friends made