Friday, November 2, 2012

A RUSH OF EMOTION






Have you ever felt a rush of emotion engulf you?  It happens to me quite often.
 Like this morning, I was listening to the radio while driving, and the song, "Puff the Magic Dragon" came on. I immediately felt this rush of love for my brother in law and his son, Suren. At first I could not put my finger on it, but then I realized I was feeling happiness for both of them having each other. All because of hearing a song.

One time, not to long ago, the song  "The Marvelous Little Toy" was playing on the radio, and hearing it, this melancholy feeling of love for my husband and sons came over me, as  I remembered back to Christmas's of long ago, when my husband would sing this song to our 4 sons.

Some music inspire me to pray, I pray fervently all because of a beautiful melody."Why Me Lord" - Sunday Morning Coming Down" are just a few.

When I hear polka's,  I have to admit to feeling sad, because of all the wonderful times spent with my family on Sundays past.I remember the good times we had at our Italian weddings, and  I can see in my mind everyone at my parents home, sitting at the round Formica table, extra chairs put around so everyone could fit. Talking and laughing about one thing or another. Sometimes my dad and uncles would start singing to the polkas, or just start singing. Remember " Tic ,TicTic, Tock Goes the Clock on the Wall?"
Or how about, "I Don't Want Her You Can Have Her, She's to Fat for Me?"?

 "Always" was my mom and dad's song from the forties. the words are beautiful. I had songs for my sons. songs like, " I Can't Smile Without You," " You Light Up My Life"--,"You Belong To Me",  :One Moment in Time", -  "Desiree " was, and still is our song, and as the years past, we added "Through The Years".   For my first grandchild I always sang to her ,"You Are My Sunshine" and "I love You a Bushel and a Peck" , so then it became the songs I sang for all 7 of them.

Songs do strange things to me, usually good things. I always feel better when I am playing music. Music inspires me. I clean better, I bake better, I do everything better.  I don't mean all types of music. I am into Country, Easy Listening, Oldies, George Strait and Neil Diamond. When these sounds fill my home, I am happy. 

Music has always been a huge part of my life. My parents played music on the radio daily when I was growing up. My dad was a great singer, and I married a guy who plays musical instruments and to me has a great voice. Dancing was right up there with the music, they go hand in hand, and we love to dance. We never won a dance contest together, but we each won separately with other partners.

My husband wrote the song and music for our first born son, "On September 5th". Sometimes we still start singing it.
 He also wrote a polka for me called "The Dolores Polka".  

The boys got involved early on  in their lives with music, playing instruments, listening to music, and dancing. 
A Dad and His Lads music group was formed when the boys were young. They played for the high school, churches, at Christmas events, and today still play together, they are now known as "The Family Tradition Band". They play for fund raisers, parties, birthdays and for themselves.

If your wondering what my part is in all of this, I can tell you that I am one proud wife and mom. I am not a singer, nor do I remember how to play the piano, except for one song. Heart and Soul, that is the extent of it. I sit back and enjoy my family when they are performing.
How does music affect your life?

No comments:

Dee's shared items

SO MANY THINGS TO BE THANKFUL FOR

This time of year makes me think of all of those things I have to be thankful for - - - -
my husband
my children
my grandchildren
my health
my freedom
always thankful for friends made