Thursday, February 2, 2012

Hello Mr. Sunshine

The last couple of days have been full of sunshine and warmth for this part of Pennsylvania. The cherry blossoms are starting to bloom , the little green shoots of daffodils are peeking out of the ground. Buds are on a lot of plants that shouldn't be. And did you notice the birds chirping? Very unusual and way to soon for all of this to take place.
 If the groundhog is right and we  get  6 more weeks of winter it better stay like this or else we won't have beautiful flowers  to look at.  I am  worried that our summer will be extremely hot - hotter than ever. Scary thought.

I am preparing to write my life story. It's not like I have exciting things to write about, but it will be a way to keep my memory alive for my grandchildren and their children. They will know a little about my life.

 Children today probably do not know what a manual typewriter looks like. Can't even imagine having carbon paper to make duplicate copies. Or how about when the wrong key is hit and then you have to backspace to correct it or even use the dreaded white out to white out the mistake, wait for it to dry before typing over it. Yikes, the thought makes me so thankful for computers today!
 I bet they would not  comprehend how we left the house with out a cell phone because they did not exist back in those days. I got my first cell phone back in 1995. It wasn't even mine but my son's. I don't know how I came about ending  up as mine. In 1995 they were big and awkward and you could only use them in the car. You had to use the car battery through the cigarette lighter for it to have power. What would they think if they could only make phone calls from a pay phone. Kids today probably don't  know about those little booths that we went into to make a phone call. I remember when it cost a dime to make a call, I have no idea what it might cost today. I know they have an outside phone at Sheet's. I have seen men using it
That's the only reason I know that they have it outside.  I remember being a teenager and the fad was for as many kids as possible to cram into the phone booth. Oh, that was so fun to see all these crazy guys in the booth with someone on top of some one's back or maybe sitting on some one's shoulders. They had many awkward positions.

And "back" then we were not driven to school nor did we have a bus to drive us. We walked back and forth 4 times. Once to get there, then walk home for lunch (no cafeteria), walk back to school and at the end of the day walk home. Not to many heavy kids back than with all of that walking. We did not have electronic games, all of our games were played outside, read inside, played cards went sled riding, skating or weekly dances. That does not include Brownies or Girl Scouts.

And in between all of that I can tell them about my dog Skippy. He was all white and followed me to school everyday. I loved that dog so much. One day when I came home my parents were sitting at the table and I asked where my dog Skippy was and they said they had to have him put to sleep because he was sick. They did not even let me say goodbye or hug him - every time I think of that my heart hurts -

Yes I have a lot to write about but I have to get all my P's and Q's in order before I start.

Yes, I may not be the perfect writer, but I am a writer and I also blog. I really enjoy doing it - I just do not have the time to do it as much as I want to.

No comments:

Dee's shared items

SO MANY THINGS TO BE THANKFUL FOR

This time of year makes me think of all of those things I have to be thankful for - - - -
my husband
my children
my grandchildren
my health
my freedom
always thankful for friends made