Tuesday, July 2, 2013

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

IN THE GOOD OLE SUMMERTIME
Growing up in the fifties, people thought of July as the middle of summer, August was called the "dog days" of summer. As a young girl, I was told that "dog days" meant that the hot weather in August made the dogs mean and they would bite. I know that I was told not to get close to dogs during that time., because dogs would be hot and miserable. I never questioned the meaning. Funny how kids believe and interpreted sayings.  Later on, when curiosity got the best of me, I research it and found that the meaning of  "Dog Days" is because the heat of Sirus (the dog star) and the heat of the sun, added together made for the sultry, muggiest part of the summer. Having nothing to do what so ever in the way dog's act. The dog days of summer lasts from July 3, to Aug. 11.

Have you noticed for quite awhile July marks the end of summer in department stores? All stores really. They put the summer items in a corner somewhere and out comes all of the school supplies, clothing stores put out fall clothing. We all know that this nice weather can last well into October, but it is still a downer to go into the stores and see they pushing school supplies and fall clothing. True, a lot of kids leave for school in August,  but towards the end of August, not the beginning.

In my opinion the end of July would be the appropriate time I would want to see the school shoes, backpacks, clothing and supplies for school.

Any thoughts on this?

No comments:

Dee's shared items

SO MANY THINGS TO BE THANKFUL FOR

This time of year makes me think of all of those things I have to be thankful for - - - -
my husband
my children
my grandchildren
my health
my freedom
always thankful for friends made