Saturday, January 12, 2013

A Day in January




  Do you think you are to old to enjoy stuffed animals? Do you still  like to pick them up if you see them in a store? How about Winnie the Pooh? Whenever I see a picture of Winnie, I automatically smile.  If you do not have babies, or grandchildren, would you pick up a book to read about Christopher Robbins? I have.
I usually feel melancholy afterwards because I think back to my son's baby years/
  My sons were not into Winnie. Oh, I tried to get them interested, but it was to no avail. 
So I loved Winnie from afar.  I do have a life size Raggedy Ann doll that my first daughter-in-law bought me for Christmas one year. I truly love her and she sits in my office/computer room. She has a friend beside her, a little porcelain doll that Doug bought for me the year my mom passed in 1995. Her name is the same as my mom's, Rose, but I call her Rosie. (My dad use to call my mom "Toots")  The dolls  remind me of Mutt n Jeff - one real tall and one small enough to sit in between the legs of Raggedy Ann. Am I the only one that keeps little people like this, or maybe you do too?
  When I was a child, I had a Howdie Doody marionette that I could not get to work, I always got the strings tangled up and the mouth wouldn't go how I wanted, I had such a hard time with him,  but I loved him. I also had a beautiful porcelain doll that I can still picture in my mind. She had a bonnet on that tied under her chin, and blue eyes that closed and opened, a pretty dress and she had socks and shoes too.  They sat together on my rocking chair in my bedroom that I shared with my brother who is 8 years younger than I am.
  I don't remember ever having a teddy bear, I guess that is why I fell head over heels  in love with Pooh.when I first saw him. I even started to collect Winnie the Pooh greeting cards. I love the sayings inside of them, and even though at the time, I bought the card/cards for special people. I never sent them. I did not want to part with them. I should of bought two of each card, and then I would of been able to send the one. knowing I had a duplicate for me.
  I love browsing the greeting card section of  stores and Hallmark Card Shop. It's almost as much fun as being in a bookstore.  It's very rare that I leave without buying a few cards that I  could not resist. I buy them for my enjoyment. I don't display them, but they go in with my card collection. Truly, I never have to buy a card for someone, I have my own store in my home. Yes, I am as bad with greeting cards as I am with books. There are some cards, like books though that I won't part with ever.
   Magazines talk about "purging". getting rid of items that you don't use or need. I do that, but not with the things I love. If I did that, my home would be sterile, nothing would be sitting around to enjoy looking at, it would look like no one lived in it. I go into homes where everything is perfect, and I wonder to myself, is it like this all of the time or just when people come to visit. I have a feeling their homes are perfect all of the time.
  I am so opposite my mom, her house was always perfect, she never had to go around picking stuff up when people called to say they were coming, and if they stopped in unannounced she was never caught with a messed up house. Heck, if you came into my house right now, you would want to walk right back out. Why?
Well, let's see, Brian has been sick and is at home taking residency on the couch with his covers, Kleenex and whatever else he may need. My hubby is in the middle of making me a surprise, so there are 2 floor to ceiling book shelves in my kitchen, don't ask. Plus the dishes need to be put in the dishwasher, but first I have to empty the dishwasher- sigh - I don't believe I'm telling all of this, but hey what the heck, my grand kids children will probably get a chuckle out of it. The dining room has the food my husband bought at the store and that needs to be put away.
  Me, well I am trying to write, but it is awfully hard with all the disarray and things that are waiting for me to do, and a radio and tv both on. I could go up in the office, but then I would have to come down to face this. This way I am right in the middle of it and I know what I have to do. You asking me what I have to do?
I have to stop writing and take care of my house, then, just maybe I will get back to doing my assignment.
  Wishing all a  Healthy, Happy New Year.

No comments:

Dee's shared items

SO MANY THINGS TO BE THANKFUL FOR

This time of year makes me think of all of those things I have to be thankful for - - - -
my husband
my children
my grandchildren
my health
my freedom
always thankful for friends made