Saturday, October 13, 2012

SOMETHING DIFFERENT


THE FERRIS WHEEL
As a child, I thought that the Ferris wheel was enormous and I shied away from it. It looked like a giant octopus, with the middle being the body, while the seats looked like the tentacles
Every time it stopped, the tentacle at the bottom would open (the bar) and let people escape.  I thought how awful it would be if the octopus decided to open its tentacles at the top. The seat would tip and I would see those up high falling out on to the ground. On the other hand, if the tentacles would stay closed, it would continue to keep going round and without ever stopping.
At night, it was lit up with what seemed like a thousand lights, and I thought it looked like an alien ship from outer space snatching people to take them away.
It is amazing how the mind of a child can fantasize, and as you can tell, I had a vivid imagination.  
I rode it once when I was a young teen, but I was so scared.  It did not help that whoever was riding with me knew I was afraid.  If we stopped at the top, they would always shake the seat. I would hold on for dear life, my fingers clutching the bar so tight that they hurt and I kept my eyes squeezed shut.
My friends thought it was funny, they did not realize the terror I felt.
That was the last time I rode it, now when we go to the park I walk in the other direction of the Ferris wheel.

2 comments:

Sharon Lippincott said...

I loved the ferris wheel. Until the time I rode one for little kids when I was no longer so little. My feet didn't fit comfortably on the footrest, so I let them dangle over the edge. That worked fine until just past the top the bar underneath the seat snagged my ankles. Fortunately the operator was watching and I saw him lunge for the brake, but as soon as I felt the contact, I pulled them free and all was well. No harm done, but I was scared silly. I was SO embarrassed! I slunk away without a word as soon as I got off.

deeron said...

My Darling Dee, I also was afraid of the ferris wheel. I think there are a few of us out there. Its associated with a fear of heights. I could not go to Monroeville Mall and walk up the steps because they and all others like them that have open backs were not on my list. I was probably 50 and then one day it was all gone. I do open steps, am still not fond of Ferris wheels but go on them and am still a little bit shakey when it comes to heights. Isn't it wonderful what age brings. Ha HA HA HA HA

Dee's shared items

SO MANY THINGS TO BE THANKFUL FOR

This time of year makes me think of all of those things I have to be thankful for - - - -
my husband
my children
my grandchildren
my health
my freedom
always thankful for friends made